Mountain Lines: A history

23:38 Unknown 0 Comments

I have loved poetry since I was a little girl. 
One night at our grade 3 awards night, in 1999 (when I was falling asleep), I received an Australian Poetry book. Apparently I was good at writing.
I cherished that book even though it was hard to read (I wasn't that interested in panning for gold or herding sheep). 
However, nowadays, when I think of great poetry, I think of that book and the illustrations it contained. 
Men breaking their backs over creeks that whispered of gold. Riders cracking their whips over slow and dumb sheep. Adventure. 
At the time I received the book, I lived in Boggabri, New South Wales, the land of nothing. However, as a kid I ran through paddocks of old rusty cars, and bounded through barbed wire like it wasn't even there. I climbed trees filled with bees and wasps, and crawled through muddy, tadpole filled creeks. My favourite thing to do was search for horse shoes. I was obsessed. My collection was 20 strong and growing. From huge draft horse shoes to tiny miniature horse shoes. Whatever the shape, I would claim it. I believe my childhood was filled with the adventure one can only find in Australia.

Anyway, I mention all these things because they are connected to that poetry book of mine. 
The great mountain ranges around Townsville also give me those feelings of history and adventure. 
That is why I have decided to make a book just like my poetry book. Though, this time it will be about Townsville, and the landscapes which surround it. 

I have called out for interested Poets. I have received some response. 
My plan is to take photos very soon, and after that, the story will unfold.


Click here to see the end result

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.