Influences: Julian Ashton and Ivan Aivazovsky

06:15 Unknown 0 Comments

"The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance." - Aristotle


Julian Ashton's Australian landscapes are very honest, yet beautiful. They fill me with a sense of '"home", and a desire to discover more about my country, Australia. However, I feel odd that I should be feeling these things, because I think all I ever do is wish I was traveling again, wish I could move away, and wish it wasn't so hot all the time. Townsville is brownsville. Though, Ashton's art works have inspired me to explore and paint the Townsville scenery, which is something I haven't done before.

In my latest works I explore my utopian place. My utopia concept is combined with an exploration into the sublime in nature and landscapes, books, and movies. My aim is when others look at my work they catch a little of what I am trying to show them.

I believe art is a journey. Art and our souls are inevitably strung together. If there is a relaxing of my heart and mind towards this city of summer, then it will show in my art.

Julian Ashton, Evening, Merri Creek, 1882, oil on canvas, 91.5 x 122.0 cm 
(http://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/collection/works/7211/) 

Ivan Aivazovsky, View of Tiflis, 1868oil on canvas, 36 x 47 cm,
 (http://www.wikiart.org/en/ivan-aivazovsky)

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.